Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Tautog Fishin'...Tautog 1 : Fish Babe 0

It's almost December and most fish that inhabit the warm summer waters of Cape Cod have left for the season. The Bluefish have gone to visit their family in a small underwater trailer park off the coast of Virginia and the glamorous Stripers have retired to their winter homes in Florida. I think they are all a bunch of p*ssies, but whatever. I am a salty Cape Codder. I dig in and bear the rough winters with a smile.

Bundle up, mutha shuckas.
 I'm smiling here, but you can't see past my scarf.
Regardless of imminent fish migratory patterns, I had high hopes of catching an elusive tautog yesterday.
I busted out the rods and the chubs and went to pick up my renegade fishing partner Squig.

Squig is a arborist and he lives in an actual haunted house near Woods Hole. His real name obviously isn't Squig, but that's what we have been calling him since preschool. By the time we came of age as middle-schoolers, Squig made an impression on me with his Peace Frog shirts and Adidas soccer shoes. Nature took its course and we became boyfriend and girlfriend for a few weeks. Most recently I hadn't seen him in about 10 years, until yesterday on our fishing trip.
Our first stop was Falmouth Bait and Tackle where we got some new hooks and some fishing tips from Chris Sherwood and the other really cool dude who works there. He took this picture, gave me some tuna info and then I forgot his name (SORRY). I am HORRIBLE.

Motley Cru. Left to Right: Squig, Fish Babe, Chris.
We peaced outta the tackle shop and headed to the famous Knob to catch us some Tautog.

T'was a GLORIOUS SUNSET.
We cruised over rocks and shit.

Squig had to carry the heavy stuff AKA the beer and chubs.
We rigged-up and baited.

Sorry chub, ya DEAD.
We casted like professionals into the abyss.
Whachu know 'bout mah rig?

AND WE CAUGHT NO TAUTOG AT ALL!

Soooo....we ended up at YE' OLE WOODS HOLE PACKAGE STORE, with Santa. DUH.



Wish us luck cause we will be back at it this afternoon.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts