Monday, December 12, 2011

Morality of Hunting and Fishing.

I like to fish but believe it or not, pulling a fish out of it's environment bothers me just a little bit. When the fish is laying there gasping at the gills I get kind of queasy. Once I went trout fishing in upstate New York with a farmer guy. He took me to the river up the mountain from his house and when he caught his first trout of the day he snapped it's neck swiftly. I know that putting the animal out of it's misery right away is best, but when I caught a fish and tried to break it's neck I  could not do it. My fish was flapping around like a wild beast and I felt really bad.

SO MUCH MEAT TO EAT: Bluefin Tuna.

I eat meat, I eat fish. My father is a commercial fisherman and I sell fish for a living for crying out loud.  I love grass-fed organic beefs, I eat Brooklyn Tacos and I drool over a juicy heritage pork chop from the Essex Market on Delancey Street in the Lower East Side. I will even admit that when I am driving up to the Cape from NYC on I-95 I will occasionally scarf a McDonald's burger just because there is nothing else around.




So, if I eat what I want and do what I want shouldn't I be able to kill, gut, slaughter, whatever, my own animal? It would seem so...



When I told my mother Sabrina that I wanted to go hunting to see what it is like she became upset. She is an animal lover to the core but she is also an omnivore, which I pointed out to her. Her point to me was that a wild animal living in the woods trying to survive does not need to be the animal that we eat. There are plenty of cattles and porks being raised specifically for eating purposes and why not just eat that. She makes sense there I guess. I will continue to fish and I am going to try hunting but I am still not sure I have the gumption to field dress a deer. Life experiences change us. Before I know it I may become a certifiable vegetarian, only time will tell.

Sweet Deers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts