Thursday, July 14, 2011

Haddock: Melanogrammus aeglefinus.

Our haddock is line-caught off the coast of Massachusetts. Weighing between 4-6# a pop, haddock holds it down with a generous 45% meat yield. I am beginning to realize that my obsession with haddock is reaching new heights (Does having lucid dreams of swimming amidst a school of haddock raise any red flags?). Probably because my father was a commercial haddock fisherman, I adore it. Growing up, we considered haddock our "bread and butter" in every sense of the phrase. This is the fish that paid for my Driver's Ed. class, bought a truck for me when I was 16 and later paid the increase in insurance rates when I rear-ended the living daylights out of someone merely two weeks into my long and embarrasingly poor driving record. Now there is a fresh generation of teenage Cape-Cod-fisherman's-daughters shaking down their Pops for new dresses, cheesey 30 dollar hair-do's and cases of Bud Light for their upcoming proms. In other words: Support New England teenagers in all the stupid havoc they wreak by purchasing haddock!

Thank haddock for bringing these two gems together.
If this isn't reason enough for you to buy haddock, please examine the following scientific data:
Biomass indexes for haddock have reached twice their target levels in recent years. Haddock is neither overfished nor is it subject to overfishing. Haddock fillets are sweet and soft like ethereal slices of cloud-matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts